What I see and what I think about it.

Friday 1 August 2008

Introducing our newest daughter

I thought I would fill everyone in about our newest daughter,,, Evelyn Audrey. She was born at 4.10am on 31 July 08 weighing 6lbs 6oz. (just so you know we are pronouncing Evelyn Ev-lyn (not Eve-lyn) apparently this is the Scottish way!) Pictures will follow!

I really wanted to share a bit about the birth and how wonderful and great God is and was during the whole thing. It will be a bit detailed so feel free to skip it and just praise God if you don't like birth details!!

We had planned a home birth. I had some worries about giving birth, but God had told me to trust Him. It was such a powerful message that went through me and I have clung to God and knew that his plan was perfect and He would give us the strength we needed.
My waters broke at 8pm Wednesday evening. Nothing seemed to be happening so we went to bed and prayed. We asked God that it would all kick off at 12, and Nick had a feeling the baby would be born around 4am. I woke up at 12.02 with big-ish contractions and all was going on ok until we discovered that there was maconium in the waters (basically the baby had pooed - which is a sign of distress and needs monitoring). So at 1.30am we bundled the girls off to my mothers and went into hospital. Labour was progressing nicely and contractions were getting stronger. I felt that God was in charge. I didn't feel at all disappointed that we were in hospital. I just knew that we were going where God was leading and had real peace (this is big thing when you are in full on labour!)

At 3am they examined me to see how far dilated I was and the midwife said that she could feel something in front of the head! she didn't think it was the cord (very bad) but she couldn't figure it out. So another midwife came in and thought it was a hand, She called the Registrar... he discovered the reason God wanted us to be in hospital... it was a foot and the baby was a footling breach (bottom first). Whilst this was going on I carried on getting stronger contractions and still feeling huge peace. At the hospital they don't do vaginal breach delivery (not sure why) so they decided to give me an emergency c-section. All was being prepared in theatre and they get me and Nick ready too. By this time I was having the urge to push and was being told NOT TOO! The only thing to stop me pushing was to pray in tongues (I think they must of thought I was mad, but it was the only way I could give it to God and He gave strength back to me). So we got to theatre and they gave me a spinal block so I couldn't feel anything from the waist down but would be awake. I remember that someone said how calm I was and I just replied that I believed on God. Of course it was ok He was in charge! They just got me lying down when they realised that the baby's feet were already out! So they decided to let her be born vaginally. I ended up with my legs (which I couldn't feel) in stirrups being told to push (which I couldn't feel) while they wiggled the baby out. After about a minute I asked what was going on and Nick said that all her body was out and then her head was out and Evelyn came to join the world.It was 4.10am, just when Nick had said it would be.
We then discovered that the registrar had never delivered a breach baby before. I was left with no tears or cuts and feel really great considering everything.

I cannot praise God enough. Would could have been a nightmare was a blessing. God was with us and gave us such peace and provided for us in miraculous ways. The icing on the cake was that our new car (which we have been waiting for 3 weeks for) was ready this morning. Just when we have started to need it.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow! What a fantastic story! I am so glad you didn't have to have a c-section.

sueneely said...

WOW!!
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE.

I've missed your blog but continued to pray that everything was alright.
Susi

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I do know that footling breech (feet first) is the riskiest breech delivery but God proved that it can be done : ) It's all Him.

My 4th and 5th children were born at home. Like you when I was 8cm dialated during my 5th child's labor the midwife discovered my daughter was frank breech (bottom first). She was delivered safely at home. The Lord Jesus is so merciful!